St. Petersburg Christian University Study Abroad Program
Briercrest College and St. Petersburg Christian University (SPbCU), located in St. Petersburg, Russia, have an agreement that allows Briercrest College students to study from August - December at SPbCU. This study abroad program consists of one semester of organized study outside of Briercrest College for students who are currently enrolled in a degree program at Briercrest College. Students would earn Briercrest credit while studying on the SPbCU campus with their local professors and living in the SPbCU dorms.
Briercrest College is excited about this opportunity for our students. Exchange and study abroad programs are becoming more popular for good reason. Studying overseas can enhance a student's education in number of ways. For many, stepping outside of their own culture opens up new learning of several different sorts, not least in providing the ability and opportunity to see their own culture from a different perspective. Being able to experience another culture not merely as a tourist but over an extended period of time can allow students to understand and to appreciate another culture in a more profound way. In this particular case, students will have the rich opportunity to study Russian art, history, literature, etc., in Russia and from people who know the context well.
Note: Program is subject to change based on availability, student enrollment, etc.
If you are interested in this program, the following information is designed for you:
1. Eligibility Criteria
- Must be officially accepted into a Briercrest College BA program; consideration may be given to AA program students on a case-by-case basis.
- Must have successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of residency at Briercrest.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 and a consistent record of academic responsibility.
- Must have been a full-time on-campus student in either the Fall or Winter Semester for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Must be in good financial standing with Briercrest and demonstrate ability to pay for the program.
- Must be in good standing with Student Development.
2. Process for Application and Approval
- Faculty letter of reference
- Student Development/Student Housing letter of reference. For dorm students this should be the student's Residence Director.
- Financial Director's report on financial standing.
- Academic Adviser's report on
- Academic record
- Applicability of SPCU courses to student's program.
- Submission of a personal statement about why you wish to participate (see application form)
3. Potential Courses
The following academic courses are currently available for a
total load of up to 12 credit hours*:
RUS 100 Introduction to Russian (3 credit hours)
ENG 201 Russian Literature in Translation (3 credit hours)
HIS 271 Russian History (3 credit hours)
FIN 256 Russian Art (3 credit hours)
*Other courses may be offered, subject to availability.
Each 3 credit hour class indicates three hours of class lecture and an average of 6 hours of homework per week. Each class is taught by a qualified English-speaking instructor.
The cost of the program is as follows. Please note some costs listed below are only an estimate.
- Flight + travel insurance - $2000 (estimate) *may increase due to transportation costs
- Health Insurance - $280 (estimate)
- Study Abroad Fee (tuition, housing on campus, lunches, etc.) -$4500 to $5500
- Student Visa - $75 (for Canadian citizens)
- Textbooks - $300 (estimate)
- Monthly living expenses (meals, Internet, entertainment) - $450 x 4 months = $1800
- Optional trips within Russia - varies (e.g. extra trip in 2010 to Volgograd for 4 days cost $400-450 and included a plane ticket, train tickets, food, accommodations, and the driver.)
5. Other requirements
- Passport valid until June 2015 http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/form.aspx?lang=eng®ion=international (information on Canadian passports at this web page)
- Health Insurance - can be purchased through our travel company (more details to come!)
6. Dates (approximate)
- Departure - August 20, 2014
- Return - December 20, 2014
Application Deadline: March 1, 2014 at
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please contact email@example.com to ensure this opportunity fits with your program. Application forms are available in Academic Services.
After we have received your application, you may be contacted for an interview with the selection committee.