Joel From, PhD
Professor of Philosophy and HumanitiesDivision Chair, Arts and Science
Department of Arts and Science
BRE (Honours), Briercrest Bible Institute, 1981
BA, Wheaton College, 1982;M.S., Syracuse University, 1990
PhD, Syracuse University, 1990
Areas of SpecializationPhilosophy (Political Philosophy), History (Early American evangelicalism, History of Western ideas)
Joel was born and raised in Saskatchewan and spent most of his youth in Caronport. He was converted to Christ at a very early age. During his school years, he excelled at academics and sports and learned a variety of trade skills (including carpentry, plumbing, and mechanics) from his father. For several summers, he drove trucks in the oil patch in Alberta.
Joel married Rebecca Zender in 1988, and they have three children: Olivia, Aaron, and Rachel. He spent seven years in pastoral ministry in Buffalo, New York, and he has been a professor and part-time administrator at Briercrest College and Seminary for thirteen years. He currently enjoys watching his children play sports, reading, doing home repair/construction projects, and teaching.
- "The Business of Government is Already Anticipated:" Evangelical Political Theory in the Early American Republic." (under editorial review)
- "The Uniform Operations of Grace: Nature, Mind, and Gospel in Early Nineteenth-Century Evangelicalism," Fides et Historia 38:1 (Spring 2006): 137-50.
- "Antebellum Evangelicalism and the Diffusion of Providential Functionalism," Christian Scholar's Review 32:2 (Winter 2003): 177-201.
- "The Moral Economy of Nineteenth-Century Evangelical Activism," Christian Scholar's Review 30:1 (Fall 2000): 37-56.
Memberships and Affiliations
Society of Christian Philosophers, Canadian Evangelical Theological Association
- C & E Jost Faculty Service Award, Briercrest College and Seminary, 2008
- All-University Fellow of Syracuse University, 1984-1986
- Scored at the 96th percentile on the GRE Advanced Test in Philosophy, 1982
- National (USA) Dean's List, inducted 1981
- Leading Scorer, Wheaton College hockey team, 1981-82
- Semi-Finalist, Canadian Collegiate Hockey Championships, 1980
- Honor Society of the AABC, inducted 1980
- Saskatchewan Government General Proficiency Award, 1977
- Nominee for Governor General's Award, 1977
- Senior Proficiency Award, Caronport High School, 1977
- Leading Scorer, Provincial Championship High School Football Team, Fall 1976
- Three-time valedictorian, 1973, 1977, 1980