Bradley Baurain, PhD
Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics and English
Faculty of Professional Studies and Performing Arts
BA, English and Philosophy, Wheaton College, 1989
ABS, Biblical Studies, Moody Bible Institute, 1993
MA, English, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1996
PhD, Education, University of Nebraska, 2013
Areas of SpecializationTESOL, methodology, second language acquisition, ethics, literature in language teaching, language and culture
Brad has taught for more than 20 years in higher and adult education in China, the United States, and Vietnam, including 11 years of service with ELIC, a Christian sending organization. During this time he developed a Literature in Language Teaching course for Vietnam National University in Hanoi and helped organize the first overseas Christians in English Language Teaching (CELT) conference in Chiang Mai, Thailand. He previously worked as a writer and editor, and still writes occasional issues of the Today in the Word devotional guide. Before most of his current students were born, he also served five summers as a Christian camp counselor and program director. Because he moved around the United States as a child and has spent half his adult life in Asia, he struggles to answer the question "Where are you from?" but often opts to say "Chicago."
Brad and his wife, Julia, are the parents of four children-Kristen, Caroline, Isaiah, and Anna. They are all beautiful and creative children, and their father isn't biased at all in this opinion. He enjoys reading, music, soccer, photography, and swimming, all in theory, because he's too busy with work and family for anything else. He is blessed to love both his work and his family!
teacher development, moral-spiritual-religious issues in education, aesthetic education, narrative inquiry, listening and silence, church-based ESL ministries, second language writing, teacher knowledge and beliefs, immigrant and migrant educational issues
For a current listing of significant academic publications, please visit: http://briercrest.academia.edu/BradleyBaurain
Memberships and Affiliations
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
TESOL International Association
Christians in English Language Education Association (CELEA)
TESL-Saskatchewan / TESL-Canada
- Presidential Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2011-2012.
- Dr. Ron Joekel Research Award, Phi Kappa Delta, Chapter 15, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, for "Authoring Teacher Development in a Graduate Seminar in Vietnam", 2011.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, College of Education and Human Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2010.
- Dean of Graduate Studies Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009-2011.
- TESOL Professional Development Scholarship, 2008.
- Chancellor's Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2007-2009.
- Herald of Christ, Christian Service Brigade, 1984.