Neil Soggie, DMin, DLit
Associate Professor of Counselling Psychology
Faculty of Professional Studies and Performing Arts
- BA - Canadian Lutheran Bible Institute
- MA - Briercrest Seminary
- MMin - Trinity Western University
- MA - Concordia University - Chicago
- CLF - Lutheran Theological Seminary
- CANSc. - Maastricht University
- MEd - University of New Brunswick
- DMin - Faith Lutheran College & Seminary
- DLitPhil - University of South Africa
Areas of SpecializationMarriage and Family Counselling, Psychology, Existential Psychotherapy
Originally from Saskatchewan, Neil comes to Briercrest from Crandall University in Moncton, New Brunswick where he served as a psychology professor for a decade. He has extensive experience as an educator and counsellor; holding positions in several universities, public and private schools, public mental health, and in private practice. He also has ministry (Lutheran) experience in youth and family ministry and institutional chaplaincy.
Neil is married to Heidi and they are the proud parents of Jordan, Emily, and Ayden.
Marriage and Family Counselling (Collaborative, Narrative, & Existential), Psychology (Hypnotherapy, History, Creativity, Happiness, Affective Disorders, Sexuality), Existential Psychotherapy (Logotherapy, Existential Analysis, Daseinsanalysis), Biblical Studies (Joshua, Wisdom Literature)
- Soggie, N. (2012). Terror and its management in the first Crusade: Ashkenazic Jewry and recent scholarship. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Soggie, N. (2012). Transcending discursive conflict: An existential phenomenological investigation into higher educational leadership. Encyclopaideia: Journal of Phenomenology and Education.32(16).
- Soggie, N. (2010). The pursuit of happiness: Logotherapy in practice. Louisiana Journal of Counseling, 19(2).
- Soggie, N. (2010). Thinking, relating, and choosing: Resolving the issue of faith, ethics, and the existential responsibility of the individual. The Indo-Pacific Journal of Phenomenology, 9(2).
- Soggie, N. (2009). The E.N.D.: Managing existential noetic dread.Logotherapy and Existential Analysis: An international journal for education, research, and practice. 12(9)
- Soggie, N. (2009). A phenomenological investigation into self-evaluation anxiety in education. Encyclopaedeia: Journal of Phenomenology and Education. 9(26).
Sample of Books:
- Soggie, N. (2009). Professional handbook for mood and anxiety disorders. Oxford: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Soggie, N. (2007).Myth, God and War. New York: University Press of America.
- Soggie, N., Soggie, H., & Tysdal, B. (2005). Existo: Worldview and a meaningful existence. New York: Hamilton Books.
Memberships and Affiliations
- New Brunswick Association of Counselling Therapists
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- The Association of Counselling Educators
- The Association for Spiritual and Pastoral Care in Counselling (Former Vce-President)
- International College of Affective Neuroscientists
- American Counseling Association
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors
- International Society for Existential Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Canadian Psychological Association
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist - International Certification Board of Hypnotherapy, 2008
- Certified Cognitive Forensic Therapist - The National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists, 1998
- Instructor Certification - National Crisis Prevention Institute, 1994