Master of Divinity
This professional degree is designed to equip students for vocational Christian service. This is an ordination track degree.
The Master of Divinity (MDiv) is a professional degree designed to equip students for vocational Christian service. It is the degree typically required of those seeking ordination in Christian ministry. The program is designed with both balance and breadth in mind. Students receive a solid and well-balanced foundation in biblical and theological studies as well as an opportunity to develop specific areas of ministry.
- Articulate an evangelical theology that demonstrably arises out of Scripture and finds expression in all areas of life and ministry.
- Be equipped for serving in the local church and its global mission.
- Be recognized as a mature disciple of Jesus Christ.
MDiv graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a capacity to guide individuals and congregations in their spiritual development.
- Demonstrate a capacity to preach sermons using a sound homiletical method.
- Demonstrate a capacity to lead within the local church in carrying out its mission with both theological sophistication and cultural awareness.
- Complete the 90 credit hour program of studies as outlined
- Achieve a minimum of a 2.50 cumulative grade point average on a 4.00 scale
- Complete at least 30 hours of this program through Briercrest
- Successfully complete a Portfolio and Interview
- Receive the recommendation of the seminary faculty
- Complete all program requirements within nine years after beginning studies
- Meet all financial obligations to the seminary
- Fulfill all academic and financial requirements
Degree Requirements (90 credit hours)
Core (12 credit hours)
|Christian Ministry Formation*||3|
|Theology OR History||3|
*May include CM 600 Spiritual Formation for Ministry, CM 601 Philosophy and Foundation for Ministry; LE 605 Personal and Service Development
Bible/Theology/History (33 credit hours)
|Biblical Language electives (Greek or Hebrew)||15|
|BLST 717 Former Prophets
BLST 719 Latter Prophets
|BLST 722 Gospels||3|
|HIS 761 The Patristic Fathers||3|
|THEO 653 Theology of Christ
THEO 654 Theology of the Holy Spirit
|THEO 754 Shepherd the Flock||3|
|Bible OR Theology Elective||3|
Christian Ministry (27 credit hours)
|CM 601 Philosophy & Foundations for Ministry||3|
|CM 621 Theology of Mission & Evangelism||3|
|CM 632 Homiletics||3|
|CM 701 Pastoral Theology & Practice||3|
|CM 814 Ministry Issues in Contemporary Culture||3|
|CM 835 Advanced Preaching||3|
|CO 603 Foundations of Marriage and Family Counselling||3|
|LE 603 Leadership and Management Foundations||3|
|THEO 641 Theology of Christian Worship||3|
Electives (18 credit hours)
|RD 704 MDiv Experiential Integration||Non-credit|
|Portfolio and Interview||Non-credit|