Community Life Coordinator (p/t, term)
Note: This is a part time (20 hrs/week) position from Aug 15, 2021 - May 15, 2022
The Community Life Coordinator is responsible for the overall quality of life experienced by college students living in community (outside of dorms). The priority is to provide pastoral support, discipleship and when necessary, discipline within community. With the help of Community Life Leaders, the goal is to promote community unity, influence positive morale and culture, and offer support, encouragement, guidance, prayer, counsel, and accountability.
The priority of Student Development is to facilitate the spiritual, academic, co-curricular and relational development and success of students while studying at Briercrest. We aim to provide students with a safe, secure, and supportive base from which to conduct their endeavors during their time on campus. We desire that each student in our care realizes all that God had in mind for them when He directed them to this school, whether that is of an academic nature, or otherwise.
- Agreement to live within the Briercrest Institutional Covenant and align with the mission, vision, and values of Briercrest College and Seminary
- Heart/Passion: The successful candidate will have a heart for the importance of Student Development work and a firm conviction of the importance and role of the residence life experience in educating, equipping, and facilitating student’s growth and maturity.
- Applicants must have a heart for God and a love and understanding of young people
- Previous relevant experience is beneficial.
- Capacity to work with a high degree of autonomy, and possessing good administrative, pastoral, interpersonal and relational skill.
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and facilitate events such as chapel, social events, etc.
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
- Discipleship: Mentoring and supporting both the team of Community Life Leaders and community students. Promoting the integration of biblical principles in everyday life.
- Counsel and Care: Offering prayer support and counsel in challenging situations. Refer when necessary.
- Relationships: Intentional connection with all community students throughout the school year.
- Accountability and Discipline: Model integrity and provide accountability to the SRE (Student’s Responsibilities and Expectations). Provide intervention and discipline as necessary and coordinate with the Dean of Students on more serious issues.
- Educational: Assist community students in their pursuit of academic excellence through positive role modeling and by active encouragement, guidance, support, and referral when necessary.
- Environment: Develop and nurture a positive overall community atmosphere that is safe and secure and encourages healthy spiritual, academic, and social development.
- Event Planning and Facilitation: Plan, facilitate and/or support community events in collaboration with the Community Life Leaders. Examples: Community Chapel, Day of Prayer, soup lunches, games nights, etc.
- Crisis: Typically, be the first responder to student needs and crisis as they arise. Refer when necessary.
- Administrative: Institutional liaison for community students
- Support the leadership and oversight of the Senior Directors (SD) and Dean of Students.
- Initiate contact with new students as soon as possible.
- Aid in the placement of students, coordinated with the SD.
- Accurate reporting and record-keeping of student issues and concerns. Done with SD and when necessary, the Dean of Students.
- Department: Attend weekly Student Development Check-In meetings.
- Invest in building positive and cooperative working relationships with other Student Development team members.
- Attend bi-weekly one on one with the Dean of Students.
- The Community Life Coordinator reports directly to the Dean of Students.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources office at email@example.com.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to the Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application